Week 3

I started off week three playing a bit of catch up.

I ended up finishing the Grouper story on Monday, but that was basically all I got done that day.

On Tuesday I posted some more print content onto the website, and began researching for my story due Friday. The deadline was getting closer and I was a little worried because I still had to interview some sources for the story, so I reached out to my editors early to let them know that it might not get done by Friday.

Finally, on Wednesday I was able to get in touch with somebody for an interview… for Thursday. This meant it was really unlikely I’d get the story done by Friday.

The interview itself, with a scientist from NOAA (National Oceanic & Atmospheric Association), went really well. The story was about a huge initiative being coordinated between the United States and Mexico to rescue the severely endangered vaquita porpoise. It’s estimated that less than thirty of them remain in the wild. One of the craziest parts of the whole thing is the involvement of the U.S. Navy’s Marine Mammal Program. The Navy has been training its dolphins from the program to seek out the vaquitas, which are small and difficult to find. The scientist I interviewed works at NOAA’s Southwest Fisheries Science Center in La Jolla, CA, and while the dolphins search for the vaquita in the water, she is leading the effort to sight the porpoises from the ships. We had a great conversation and I learned a lot about the whole operation. I’ll share more when the story gets published!

After spending the rest of Thursday and part of Friday transcribing the phone call, I wasn’t able to finish the story by my deadline. Usually for me, I need two days to write large stories. One day to write a rough draft, the night to forget about it, and the next day to edit and finish it. I don’t usually do last minute writing very well, although I have before and could do it again if I have to

What I did do, however, was finish three short pieces for a regular feature in the magazine called “Wreck Roundup.” For each of these pieces, I was given a recent shipwreck to research and write a short (100 words) blurb for each, highlighting the details of the wreck, where it’s located, and whether it’s reachable for divers.

There isn’t a whole lot more to report this week.

Some last good news, though: I found out this week that I’m scheduled to go diving the second week of August to test out some wetsuits at Blue Grotto, a freshwater lagoon/dive resort in Williston. We’ll be gone the 8th and 9th. It’s been a while since my last dive, so I’m really excited.

I didn’t take many pictures this week, so here’s a picture of the cats at the Airbnb apartment I’m staying at.






Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

nine + 7 =